Here you will find helpful information about Heat Recovery and Ventilation from
general advice and information manuals and product Videos. Select the category
that you would like to see resources for.
MVHR Units | BPC Ventilation Ltd
MVHR Units & All the Information You Need to Know!
When we started designing and supplying ventilation systems the main reason to have a system was to recover the heat usually lost through air supply vents and bathroom fans. A heat recovery system recovers up to 90% of normally lost heat.
A heat recovery system does so much more than just recover heat, it is one of the most important systems that you can install in your home! A heat recovery system works by:
- Improving the indoor air quality by filtering incoming air
- Complies with all building control regulations
- Helps with asthma and other health issues
- Prevents mould and condensation
- Removes bad odours
- Eliminates the need for bathroom extractor fans and window air vents
- Provides natural cooling in warm weather by supplying fresh filtered air
- Distributes heat evenly throughout your home
- And of course systems recover up to 90% of normally wasted heat
Building Control and Legislation
Lately there has been an increasing demand on builders, architects and government legislation to increase the thermal efficiency of our homes making them draught free and well insulated. This in turn has caused poorer air quality which can significantly increase the effects of asthma and other respiratory problems, health problems and the build-up of mould, dust mites, condensation, build-up of toxic gases unpleasant smells.
For health reasons, Government legislation now makes it almost compulsory for your new airtight home to have a balanced mechanical ventilation system and a heat recovery ventilation system is the most preferred option.
How Does a HRV (MVHR system) Work?
A ventilation system with heat recovery (HRV) or (MVHR system) is an energy efficient, controlled and balanced ventilation system. It extracts the moist, stale air from all the wet rooms in your house and replaces it with filtered, fresh, recovered warm air to all your habitable rooms and bedrooms without letting the heat escape.
Your home is fully ventilated throughout the year with as much as 95% of the normally wasted heat being recovered providing you substantial energy savings. A heat recovery system will allow your property to stay air tight, as you will not require window vents or bathroom extractor fans. A heat recovery system helps make your home and healthier and quieter living environment.
Installing a heat recovery system is becoming a home necessity rather than just an addition. MVHR systems are targeted towards DIY installs with all products being easy to install with easy to fit connections while also maintaining and quiet and efficient system.
We have a large network of installers who can install your system for you if required.
On completion of the installation the system will require commissioning and we can help you with this or provide an installer local to your area to commission the system.
Can you install an HRV system to an existing house?
It is possible to install to an existing house, but good planning and design is critical, if your house is a bungalow the installation would be very easy as all ductwork would be in your attic space but if your house has a number of floors we would have to work with you to provide solutions to drop ductwork to the rooms below through service voids like wardrobes and storage rooms. Do you require installation? Fill in our quick contact online form for more information!
Can you install in a period house with normal levels of insulation?
It is possible to retrofit system, we have installed ventilation systems in many period houses, including a castle! It may not be possible to achieve the maximum heat recovery rate of 90%, but you will still benefit from the features of MVHR including fresh filtered air and condensation control.
Like any other building service, a MVHR unit require servicing and maintenance throughout the systems lifetime, this will ensure that consistent energy efficient ventilation is provided to your home.
Filters are fundamental to Guaranteed Installed Performance, efficiency and indoor air quality (IAQ). We recommend that filters should be cleaned or replaced every 6-12 months.
The heat exchanger is designed to last the lifetime of the unit and should every cleaned 3 to 5 years with an antibacterial cleaner.
Indoor Air Quality
Heat Recovery systems can provide several filtration options depending on the occupants and location of the building
- G3 & G4 filters are suitable for general filtration in rural locations or areas of normal outdoor air quality
- F7 filters are classed as pollen filters and provide a good level of protection against pollen
- HEPA filters are for high filtration and are suitable for occupants with severe asthma and health issues
- ION filtration uses electric to capture bacteria and air bourne pollens to below PM2.5
- Activated sprayed carbon – are reusable carbon filters that combat smells and daily contaminants from minimal road traffic
- NO2 or NOX filters are expensive disposable carbon filters suitable for areas with high contamination of diesel fumes and particles
Benefits of working with BPC Ventilation
- Number 1 leading MVHR and ventilation system specialists
- Large range of systems for domestic and commercial applications
- Authorised distributors
- In-house design service
- Full technical support
- 1000s of products in stock in our own warehouse
- Large showroom with working units on display
- Installer network throughout the UK and Ireland
- All systems comply to all the latest building control regulations
Domestic MVHR (Heat Recovery)
- Heat Recovery Benefits
- Heat Recovery FAQ
- BPC MVHR Installation Guide
- MVHR Units | BPC Ventilation Ltd
- DIY Heat Recovery Kits
- Ventilation Design Service
- BPC Ventilation - Ducting Kits
- Ducting Solutions
- Sales and Installation
- Our Products
- MVHR Installation Service
- MVHR Control and Sensors
- Product and Installation Training
- Passive House
- Trade Discount
- BPC Ventilation Catalogues
- BPC Ventilation Catalogues
- MVHR Buyers Guide
- Ducting Buyers Guide
- Vent Axia MVHR Product Catalogue
- Duco MVHR Product Catalogue
- Domus MVHR Product Catalogues
- Mitsubishi Single Room MVHR Catalogues
- Ventilation Building Regulations
- Xpelair MVHR Product Catalogue
- Nuaire MVHR Product Catalogues
Commercial MVHR(Heat Recovery)
MEV Mechanical Extract
PIV Positive Ventilation
CVS Central Vacuum
Ventilation Cooling & Heating
Keep up to date with offers, products, and company news, direct to your inbox
If you would like to learn more about our installation service, please contact us:
Call us on 028 28 275 150 or click below to contact us online
If you are a developer or installer, apply for a trade discount online.
Click below for easy application
Distributors for the worlds leading ventilation manufacturers
We are distributors and stockists of the leading ventilation products